Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:46:16 -0400
From:      dex <djdexter@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Remote backups using ssh and dump

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone done this?
>  I'm presently using rsync over ssh, but I think dump would be better if
> it will work.  I've been reading the man page, but I'm wondering if anyone
> is doing this successfully and would like to share their cmdline.

This is an older restore document I wrote but at the beginning you can see
how the backup is done:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2007-February/012190.html

The backup method writes everything to a file, so it only works for
filesystems of smaller sizes (<50G) depending on your backup and restore
windows.