Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 08:42:51 -0500
From:      "Frank Griffith" <frankg@idfw.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Rotten old Core Dump!

I was running FreeBSD 2.2.6 on my Pentium 75 computer
for the last few weeks and everything was stable. I installed
a new Pentium 166 MgHz chip, reset the jumpers on the
motherboard for it and off I went. FreeBSD crashed on the
first attempt to boot and again on the second. I then booted
from the FreeBSD 2.2.6 floppy installation disk and got it to
at least boot. I then rebooted to the hard drive and got in.

But alas, my once very stable system is now encountering
problems. For instance when I try to view a man page, it
starts the formatting and the I get this message:

Formatting page, please wait...May 24 00:07:19 FreeBSD
/kernel: pid 375 (troff), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
/usr/bin/groff: troff Segmentation fault (core dumped).
Done.

Also, when I renistall FreeBSD via FTP, it gets to the Remaking all
Devices screen and hangs until I press Ctrl+C.

Anyone have a suggestion? I only swapped out the chip and have
checked and rechecked the jumper setting on the main board.