Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2003 02:41:35 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: InformationWeek: Intel Sees A 32-Bit Hole In Itanium

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 12:33:34AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> IA-32 Execution Layer will take 32-bit code and convert it to 64-bit
> code that the Itanium processor can run, an Intel spokeswoman
> says.

I wonder why the conversion if ia64 can already run ia32 applications.
Maybe Intel is planning to retire the ia32 execution unit early to
make room for caches and additional functional units?

> Is this something that FreeBSD can/should get involved with?

I think it will be a waste of time. We already have ia32 support
that we probably don't maintain enough. Something else only adds
to the workload and it's not that we have people lining up :-)

I think we should allocate our spare resources to work on native
ia64 and native FreeBSD and make it a kick-ass server. If we get
bored after that, we can always take on the battle with i386 and
amd64 by adding compatibility layers and emulation fodder.

Just my $0.02