Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:51:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[4]: Load-Balancing - any solutions?

Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> types:
> Wednesday, December 06, 2000, 9:52:26 AM, you wrote:
> >> I'm still looking for something somewhat faster (i.e. no more than a few
> >> seconds lag between the master and the slave servers)...
> > Have you tried integrating the distribution into your source code
> > control system?
> Ever noticed how "fast" CVS is, for example? I don't want to see
> what's going to happen when I fed several gigs of HTML into it...

CVS sucks, in a lot of different ways. Judging an idea based on a bad
implementation is not good practice.

> > http://www.perforce.com/perforce/wcm.html >. I've got a FAQ that adds
> > more to this topic somewhere. If you want, I'll chase down a pointer
> > to it for you.
> Doesn't seem to be what I need. Checking against a master copy just
> ain't fast enough, thus the need for a push based system.

Wow. It takes my web server (a wimpy 500MHz K6-2) less than a tenth of
a second to check against the master copy. Since that's to slow,
exactly how tight *are* your requirements?

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.