Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:10:44 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange X problem

--==========4ED349D10ABF5D04A2E4==========

--On October 6, 2006 12:52:12 AM -0400 Bob <bob@tania.servebbs.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 05 October 2006 15:36, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>

>> What did I miss?
>>

> Don't know exactly, as I am quite new to FreeBSD; but I can tell you
> what I  did.
>
> After the installation of X11, I created a file in my home directory
> called .xinitrc in that file I have the single line exec startkde.
>
> I log into my account, and when I want Xwindows I simply
> execute /usr/X11R6/bin/startx.
>
> Here is what my .xinitrc file looks like:
># /usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce4
># exec gnome-session
># /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep
> exec startkde
>
> I can edit it and use another window manager if I want... I have used
> all the  ones listed.
>
> Hope some of this helps.

Not really.  I want X to start *without* requiring a console login and=20
prompt me for a login in the gui, just like my workstation does.

I can type starx or gdm after logging in as root, but that's not what I=20
want.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas