Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 22:01:56 +0000
From:      Neil McGann <nmcgann@neilmcgann.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.5-Release kernel locking hard after 30 minutes

I tried to upgrade from 4.4-R to 4.5-R via CVSUP. Kernel compiled and
installed fine (as generic, but includes ipfilter and stripped down to
eliminate unnecessary devices). I started doing a buildworld, but after 30
mins of heavy compiling the machine locked solid - a hard reset required to
recover. Never seen this before.

I booted back to 4.4R Kernel and all is well again. PC is Asus Cuple-VM
mobo (82C686B southbridge), 256Mb, integrated graphics, 60Gb IBM HD, 400MHz
celeron, 2xFA311 NIC. Uptime is weeks with 4.4R under heavy usage (only
tweaking the kernel has required a reboot).

Suggestions of how to attack the 4.5 lockup problem?

Neil