Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:11:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "John Bolster" <j.bol@gte.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to move /var directories

John Bolster <j.bol@gte.net> types:
> I set up my FBSD 4.1 box with a 20MB /var and 14GB /usr and now I've spent
> ages configuring everything else- dns, ftpd, httpd, firewall, etc.  Now I
> come to use it as a mail server for over 100 people, I've realized that /var
> needed to be much bigger and I'll probably never have much use for all the
> /usr space.
>
> I've read that there is no Partition Magic type program for FBSD, so I
> assume I'll have to move /var/mail and /var/ftp somewhere else where there
> is more room.
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is the best way to deal with this, if there is a
> better idea, and (ideally) how to do it?

Christian has it right - but makes the symlink setup to difficult.
It's probably best to symlink the entire directory, so that new users
don't wind up on /var:

# mkdir /usr/var/mail
# mv /var/mail/* /usr/var/mail
# rmdir /var/mail
# ln -s /usr/var/mail /var

If you really want to symlink individual users, you can use
wildcarding on the ln to do it all like so:

# mkdir /usr/mail
# mv /var/mail/* /usr/mail
# ln -s /usr/mail/* /var/mail

Note that mail being delivered during either of this procedures could
be lost, so you should disable mail delivery. If your users don't log
on directly, you can just kill your SMTP server and restart it.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.