Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:52:56 -0700
From:      Michael Peer <mpeer@ponyexpress.gwc.cccd.edu>
To:        Dru Nelson <dnelson@slip.net>, Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing thru a FreeBSD?

I know Cisco now has a module they call an RSM, Route switch module, that
is supposed to do layer 3 routing in hardware, that they are calling layer
3 switching.  I think the marketing people are at it again. :)

At 10:04 AM 10/23/97 -0700, Dru Nelson wrote:

> What is a Layer-3 switch then :-) ?
>
>On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Damian Hamill wrote:
>
>> I think you misunderstood his question.  He didn't ask about ethernet
>> switching, he asked about IP routing.
>>
>> Dru Nelson wrote:
>> >
>> > I doubt it. Unless there is specialized hardware involved.
>> > cisco and others have invested heavily in 'silicon switching'.
>> > there are more layer 3 ethernet switches out there.
>> >
>> > I think FreeBSD is an excellent solution for most things, but
>> > a good Cisco router will really perform.

>> --
>> *    Damian Hamill   M.D.       damian@cablenet.net
>> * CableNet & The Landscape Channel
>> * http://www.cablenet.net/   http://www.landscapetv.com/

Michael Peer
Data Electronics Technician I          Golden West College
Computer Services Center               15744 Goldenwest St.
                                       Huntington Beach, CA 92647

e-mail:  mpeer@gwc.cccd.edu            Voice: (714)892-7711 ext 55067
WWW:     http://pioneer.gwc.cccd.edu   FAX:   (714)895-8980