Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 10:31:23 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Purser <johnmpurser@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make: don't know how to make buildworld

On Tuesday, 29 February 2000 at 18:29:26 -0800, John Purser wrote:

> On  Tuesday, February 29, 2000 4:45 PM, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> Thanks, for getting back to me so quickly and for being right!
>>>
>>> I just kicked something off and that's a fact!
>>>
>>> I changed directories to /home/ncvs/src ($CVSUP/src) and then
>>> entered make buildworld.  Sure enough it started running.  I had
>>> been running it from /usr/src like the book said to.  Is this a
>>> needed correction or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> No, it looks like you're doing something wrong.  Normally /home/ncvs
>> is the CVS repository, not the source tree.  But you can't build a
>> world from /home/ncvs/src, so it looks like you have something wrong
>> there.  Is this your repository?  It should look like this:
>>
>>    Attic                   crypto                  lkm
>>    COPYRIGHT,v             eBones                  release
>>    Makefile,v              etc                     sbin
>>    Makefile.inc1,v         games                   secure
>>    Makefile.upgrade,v      gnu                     share
>>    README,v                include                 sys
>>    TODO-2.1                kerberos5               tools
>>    UPDATING,v              kerberosIV              usr.bin
>>    bin                     lib                     usr.sbin
>>    contrib                 libexec
>>
>> Note the file names ending in ,v: these are RCS (CVS) files.  The
>> others are directories containing ,v files.
>>
>> I'd guess that you checked out into the wrong directory.  I hope you
>> don't have both in there; that would be a real mess.  You should have
>> done your checkout from /usr, as shown on page 375 of the Third
>> Edition.
>
> Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I have the files and most of the
> directories you listed in the directory /home/ncvs/src.  I don't
> have the directories Attic, eBones, Kerberos5, or lkm.

It sounds like you haven't been looking carefully.  With the files
above, you can't build a world.  You need at least Makefile and
Makefile.inc1, which aren't there in the list above.  The fact that
Attic is missing suggests that you don't have a CVS tree there.  The
other ones belong to a different repository, so that's possible that
they're not there.

> When I moved to the directory /home/ncvs/src and typed "make
> buildworld" it kicked off something that kept my machine busy for
> the next half hour or so!

It would be nice to know what.  Typically a buildworld takes longer
than that.

> I thought the environmental variable CVSROOT was supposed to be set
> to the default prefix from the cvsupfile.  Do you think that's where
> I went wrong?

No.

> As a way to undo this I'm thinking about deleteing the directory
> /home/ncvs/src, resetting $CVSROOT (to /usr ?), redoing cvs co src, and
> running make buildworld again.
>
> Does that sound like a good plan?

No.  I'd suggest you first try to find out what you have done.
/home/ncvs is the canonical place for the repository, but we haven't
yet established whether you have one or not.  What does your cvsupfile
look like?

Greg