Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:10:54 +0100
From:      Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff@t-online.de>
To:        "FreeBSD stable (Liste)" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: timeout on boot with umass

Am Sa, den 12.02.2005 schrieb Godwin Stewart um 22:34:

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:18:27 +0100, Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff@t-online.de>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm using a single board computer with freebsd 4-SATBLE. Attached to
> > this thingy is a usb memory drive (not plugged, present at boot up)
> > which takes approx. 15 seconds to show up as da0 after beeing detected
> > by umass.
> >
> > Is there any possibility of reducing this time significantly?
>
> This is my first attempt at answering someone else's problems so go easy
> on me if I'm wrong, okay? :)
>
> Default kernel comes with this in its configuration:
>
> options		SCSI_DELAY=15000	# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
>
> Adjust the delay to taste and rebuild/install your kernel.

I'm so stupid, this really is the case. I should have known this, but:

What's irritating me is the missing message the kernel issues normally.
On my destop computer it looks like this:

"Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle"

The SBC-kernel does not tell me ... that's why I mixed up this phenomena
with the delay when hot plugging the same usb device (can take up to 2
minutes to appear as da0).

But you're right, thank you. :)

Marc