Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:04:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Thomas Runge" <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> As Panagiotis Astithas pointed out, there already is a JDK 1.3 available on
> FreeBSD. It's available as a port. First make sure your ports tree is up to
> date. You can use CVSup for this. If you don't know how to do that, let me
> know and I'll give you some simple instructions.

Okay, I'm not new to FreeBSD, everything is quite up to date on this
machine. But thanks anyway!
The problem with the port is, that it fetches an old package, there is
a jdk1.3.0_1 now. But read on...

> You now have an installed Sun Linux JDK 1.3.0. But it will probably freeze
> since HotSpot doesn't really like the Linuxulator. So you should modify the
> jvm.cfg file. This is what it will contain after you downloaded it:
>
>    # cat /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.0/jre/lib/jvm.cfg | tail -4
>    -client
>    -hotspot
>    -server
>    -classic
>
> Move the -classic option to the top:
>
>    -classic
>    -client
>    -hotspot
>    -server

Good point. Without that I get the infamous "cannot uninstall alt signal stack"
error. Shouldn't that go to the port patches?

> When you try to run the JDK, you should set JAVA_HOME to
> /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.0.

Thats not needed. At least on this machine.

But now something strange. I installed the jdk manually into my $HOME,
actually into /usr/home/runge/java/jdk1.3.0_1. I made all changes
to .java_wrapper's and jvm.cfg. Still core dumps. But as quiet a few
guys have success running it on FreeBSD, there must be something wrong
with my setup. I moved the directory to /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.0 and
without any additional changes it worked! Don't know why, maybe it's
a problem, that both are on different partitions?

Anyway, thank you very much! No reboots to NT anymore! :-)

--
Tom