Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:22:48 +0100
From:      jan.brolund@sida.se
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD or LINUX??? - Which one should I choose?

     Hej, (to anybody who is kind enough to help me to choose between
     FreeBSD and Linux!)

     I have just obtained the CDs for FreeBSD and Linux from Walnut Creek -
     and I have also ordered the Reference Books for both operating
     systems, (but not received them yet).

     I probably have to choose which one to install permanently, because I
     think I still need one primary DOS/Windows 3.11 partition (for myself
     and the children with all my well known applications plus their games,
     which can't run properly under Win95) + one primary partition with
     Win95-DK (danish version - for my children and their favourite games)
     + a STABLE 32-bit operating system with an EFFICIENT file system to be
     used primarily/initially to access the Internet and later - when I get
     to know the system well enough - to be used as a WEB-server and maybe/
     hopefully/possibly for more new demanding requirements associated with
     the Internet/E-mail etc. The last - 4th - primary partition will be
     used as an extended partition with some partitions for DOS and some
     for FreeBSD and/or Linux (Ext.2).

     I am completely new to Unix and Unix clones, but I feel I have to go
     in that direction, because I find especially Win95 too unstable and
     unpredictable for my liking - and I am not too fond of the DOS file
     system = FAT either...

     Is there any kind soul out there, who can advise/help me to choose?

     I would really appreciate some advise - including arguments for the
     choice - please? Is there any significant difference between FreeBSD
     and Linux or can I just flip a coin? Is it correct that FreeBSD is
     more stable - because new FreeBSD releases/upgrades are tested more
     intensively - than Linux, or is that just hearsay?

     Thanking you in advance....

     Sincerely Yours

     Jan Brolund