Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:06:06 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSDi Acquired by Embedded Computing Firm Wind River

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 05:24:55PM -0400, Andrew C. Hornback wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 12:46:39AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> >
> > > Desktop:  That which is primary purpose is to serve as a user interface
> > > between the human and the services provided by servers on the network.
> >
> > So the "dumb terminal" hung on a DEC mainframe that I use to have in my
> > office would then fall into this category? Is it then accurate to say that
> > the terms "workstation" and "client" also fall into this category in a
> > distributed processing model?
>
> 	I think the proper terms anymore would be Clients and Servers, at
> 	least that's how I see things.
>
> 	But, yes, your Dumb Terminal would be in the Client class, while the
> 	DEC 'frame would be in the Server class.  Workstations, basically,
> 	would be nothing more than servers with the high performance
> 	alternative to Desktop peripherals.
>
> > > But, before we forget, there's one other type of system:
> > >
> > > standalone:  A host that is intended and generally uses services that it
> > > provides itself, and where network connectivity is not
> > particularly critical
> > > to it's operation.
> >
> > So a "standalone" can behave as both a server *and* a client/desktop/WS?
>
> 	It would have to be.  Otherwise, it couldn't stand alone.  It would
> 	act as it's own application and file server, at the most basest of
> 	levels.
>
> > > What's confusing is that many people have taken the word desktop used it
> > > when they are talking about a consumer standalone system.  One rule
> > > of thumb is that if you can pull the network connection out of it
> > > and not notice, it's probably a standalone.
> >
> > I think that I've made that very mistake, but with a twist. The
> > server/client or server/work-station distinction were/are clear to me for
> > the most part. However, for some reason, I interpreted a "desktop"
> > machine as one running X-Windows and used as what you describe as a
> > desktop above. I guess that it hadn't sunk in that your "desktop"
> > machine could very well be running only console apps. The previous
> > discussions on this thread are now fitting into place a bit better, ;)
>
> 	If you really have to split hairs and make a differentiation between
> 	desktops and workstations, I'd say the quality of the hardware and
> 	the applications used.  Workstations are generally used for more
> 	higher end applications, not just your basic word processing, spread
> 	sheet/number crunching sort of thing.  Workstations of the past
> 	generally had better graphics systems when they were used for
> 	modelling, etc. and better sound systems when they were used for
> 	music/signal analysis/etc.

It was never my intention to split hairs about anything. I simply needed
clarification with the terminology. I now understand that a workstation
is simply a "super" desktop. The question was asked as to what the
definition of a desktop was. I simply wanted to know how the term
workstation fitted into the scheme of things. Thanks for clearing that
up, bud.
--
-duke

Calgary, Alberta, Canada