Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 22:13:58 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        TJ Varghese <tj@tjvarghese.com>
Cc:        lenzi@k1.com.br, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, VeeJay <maanjee@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Any help about FreeBSD & Dell's Troubleshooting Tool DSET

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 01:43:46PM +0800, TJ Varghese wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Sérgio de Almeida Lenzi
> <lenzi@k1.com.br>wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > the best configuration I used is to use RAID-0 (no raid)
> > on the controller and g mirror on the FreeBSD (that is I use
> > the mirror in software) mainly because the Freebsd kernel
> > is, in this manner, can detect problems with the drivers
> > and so, can act on it....
> > <snip>
>

> Do not use RAID-0! What you want is JBOD and freebsd's software raid.
> RAID-0 does striping over both drives...if one drive is dead you're screwed.

There is nothing inherently wrong with RAID-0.  For example, prior to
having a machine that supported more than 3 disks, I used gstripe(8)
heavily on my home FreeBSD box.  I was **very** well-aware of the
negative aspects of RAID-0 (one disk dies, you lose the entire
filesystem).

Which is why I performed backups.  Daily.

My point: RAID-0 is fine to use, as long as you're doing backups
often, and accept what will happen if one of your disks goes bad.