Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:29:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Ramirez <marc.ramirez@bluecirclesoft.com>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swappng in?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Mark wrote:

> Is there a way to swap a program back in, after it has been swapped out?
> (FreeBSD 4.7R).
>
> I had a rather huge task, and now my ps shows entries like:
>
> ... 948    0  v2  IWs+ -         0:00.00 /usr/libexec/getty Pc ttyv2
>
> I'd like to have it swapped back in, please. :) I read somewhere that if the
> memory strain has subsided, it would automatically be swapped in again. I do
> not see that happen automagically, though.

To note:

1) Swapped out does not mean inoperative.  For every executable, there
usually some portion that does not reside in memory (paged out).  Swapped
out just means that *everything* is paged out.  "Swapped out" is an old
term, back in the days before virtual memory.  Back then, when there were
two processes going, when it was time to run a different one, the running
program would be *entirely* written to disk, and the second one would be
loaded.  That's "swapping".

2) The process will remain swapped out until it has something to do.  When
it does have something to do, it will swap back in again.  If the process
has nothing to do, there's not much point in wasting the RAM, when you
might run that huge task again.

Marc.

--
Marc Ramirez