Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:06:01 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kip Macy <kip.macy@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   TOE support issues

--==_Exmh_1198087561_84283P

I have come up with several questions about the supportability of
TOE.

1. Packet capture. Can I use tcpdump or other libpcap tools with TOE
   cards? Can the card do pcap in its own microcode?

2. Statistics. What statistics are available with TOE? I know the
   Chelsio card keeps all kinds of potentially interesting stats as will
   as the basic packet and error counts. Can these be made available to user
   code, management tools, and such stuff?

3. The Chelsio card has some very impressive, but as far as I can tell,
   undocumented capabilities for things like traffic shaping and
   policing. Any of these available?

If these issues are handled correctly, this could be a network
researcher's dream.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)