Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:52:47 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>, "Jussi Reissell" <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: CD burning question

Gaaakkkk!!!!!!

The problem with the older drives not reading burned CD's has nothing to do
with semi-proprietary formats.  (this is NOT CD-RW's which are a different
animal)  It's due to 2 simple reasons:

1) Many older drives cannot read multisession CD's, or Cd's that are left
open.
If you use burn your CD so that it's a single-session and is closed when
it's
burned, it will be readable by most things.  ISO images are by definition
single
session (at least they should be unless your burner software is _really_
brain-dead.

2) Some older drives have lasers that cannot read some of the burned CD's
because
their lasers are the wrong color, thus the burned CD is invisible.

I understand a lot of this is confusing.  What is worse is that multisession
CD
burners by definition have to be able to read unclosed CD's.  So, a lot of
newbies
that don't know any better make a whole library of unclosed CD's that they
add
a little bitty bit at a time, and they use their burner as their main CD
drive,
then they wonder why the CD isn't readable elsewhere.

>	Basically, unless you're using a fairly modern CD-Rom which
>supports CD-R
>and CD-RW, I wouldn't try any non-professionally mastered CDs in those
>drives.

I've burned plenty of CDs and I have many _ancient_ single-speed and
double-speed CD drives.  Single-session CD-R's are not a problem if you know
what
your doing when you master them.  And I've only run across 1 model of
single-speed CD drive (Sony) that couldn't read the dye's on a burned CD.
It
is interesting that Sony is one of the main companies _against_ people being
able to
copy videodiscs and DVD's and such.  In fact I believe they used the laser
trick on
at least one model of Playstation, that model can't read burned CDs.

Your advice holds true for CD-RW's but it's wrong for regular CD-R's.