Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 12:52:48 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        leo@astea.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns question

Leo Kliger wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a split dns
>
> with outside dns pointing example.com
> and inside dns pointing example.com as well.....

	Assuming that "pointing" translates to, "Is authoritative for..."

> the issue is that our web site is now house on an
> external server but the internal dns want to resolve
> the name to an internal server......

	Is the web server the only address in example.com that needs to be sent
outside your internal network, or is the whole example.com domain now
outside your internal network?

> i know the solution is simple but it escapes me.....

	It could be simple, it could be complex, depending on the exact
situation. Another important factor is, what version of BIND is running
on the internal nameserver?

	The simplest possible solution, assuming that www.example.com is the
only hostname that needs to go outside of the firewall would be to
delegate that hostname to the outside nameserver in the inside
example.com zone file. It would look like this:

www	IN	NS	name.of.your.outside.name.server.

Other circumstances would require variously more complex solutions.

Hope this helps,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

Nominated for quote of the year is the statement made by Representative
Dick Armey (Texas), who when asked if he were in the President's place,
would he resign, responded:

"If I were in the President's place I would not get a chance to resign.
I would be lying in a pool of my own blood hearing Mrs. Armey standing
over me saying, 'How do I reload this damn thing?'"