Date:      Thu, 14 May 2009 20:19:56 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        manish jain <invalid.pointer@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How to move vi to /bin

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 09:21:46 manish jain wrote:

> I want to move vi to /bin so that I have an editor available in
> single-user mode.

The only reason to need an editor and not have /usr and /var available is to
edit /etc/fstab. It is trivial to spot errors with /rescue/cat and fix with
/rescue/sed, without having to worry about a terminal.

In all other cases:
fsck -p
/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal start
/etc/rc.d/ldconfig start

And one can use any editor one would want. Don't forget to export or setenv
TERM to cons25 from 'dumb'.

--
Mel