Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 01:56:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fixit/disaster recovery documentation ?

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> Can someone point me to the documentation on recovering from a fubar'ed,
> unbootable root filesystem ? I couldn't find it anywhere in the handbook.

Here's how you do it:

First, you must get out your fixit floppy.  If you don't have one, make
one from the installation cdrom.
Then, boot with your installation cdrom or floppy.  When you get to the
sysinstall menu, choose "repair mode".
At this point you will put in the fixit floppy.  Then do Alt-F4 to get to
the repair shell where you can mount your root filesystem and fix stuff to
your heart's content.
Good Luck!
Joseph