Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2021 21:45:57 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric Turgeon <ericbsd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any plan to fix ports git main history compatibility with old GitHub master?

--3xoW37o/FfUZJwQG

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 05:33:08PM -0300, Eric Turgeon wrote:
> Today when trying to sync the GhostBSD ports tree with the FreeBSD ports
> tree, I found out the main branch history is not compatible with the old
> GitHub master.
>=20
> Any plan to migrate to main with hold git history as we had with
> freebsd-src?

The main branch will contain a commit which is identical to the last
commit of the old master branch (except for the hash).  If the GhostBSD
repo is merged up to that point, you can then merge the matching commit
=66rom main and proceed with using main as the source for future merges.

If you have outstanding WIPs the process of updating them to the new history
should be about the same as the one for source:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-doc/blob/main/documentation/content/en/a=
rticles/committers-guide/_index.adoc#562-migrating-from-github-fork

-- Brooks

--3xoW37o/FfUZJwQG

--3xoW37o/FfUZJwQG--