Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 23:49:23 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        potok@friko.onet.pl (Mariusz Potocki)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot anymore :(

> When I turn my computer on, FreeBSD doesn't want to start.
> Kernel boots but when system try to mount filesystems I have error
> messages:
> swapon: /dev/wd0s3b: No such file or directory.

Somehow you managed to delete the special file.
To recreate it do
	cd /dev
	sh MAKEDEV wd0s3

> Automatic reboot in progress...
> /dev/rwd0a: clean, 67912 free (384 frags, 8441 blocks, 0,4%
> fragmentation)
> /dev/wd0s3f: No such file or directory.
> Can't stat /dev/wd0s3f.

Same cause as above, /dev/wd0s3f is missing.

> Automatic file system check failed... help!
>
> I run 2.2.1R, have Conner CFS1275A with OS/2 boot manager, DOS
> and FBSD partitions on it.
> In /etc/fstab I mount wd0s3f as /usr and wd0s3e as /var.
> Until today it was no problem at all with this configuration.
> What happened and how can I fix it ?

/dev/wd0s3a, /dev/wd0s3b ... were deleted and now are missing.

> ps. In shell at startup I can mount my slices, but using
> mount /dev/wd0f /usr instead wd0s3f as is in fstab (what's a
> difference between both of them ?).

/dev/wd0f is the partition f on the first FreeBSD slice on disk 0,
/dev/wd0s3f is the partition f on the third slice on disk 0.
(slice numbering starts with one, not zero, as opposed to disk numbering
and Unix convention.)

So, if you have only one FreeBSD slice on a disk, /dev/wd0f and
/dev/wd0s3f are device files for the same slice and I recommend to forget
about slices for BSD filesystems at all in this case. Just change
the "wd0s3?"-entries to "wd0?"-entries in your /etc/fstab and it
should work fine.

Wolfgang