Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:10:13 +0100
From:      Spil Oss <spil.oss@googlemail.com>
To:        jhell <jhell@dataix.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with alias length in base Sendmail

Hi jhell,

aliases can be used as mailing-lists........ (remember to also have a
<listname>-owner alias if you wish to use it that way)

And there is a work-around, also documented in the aliases man-page.
split it up in multiple parts that are lists again

mailinglist: mailinglist-part1, mailinglist-part2, mailinglist-part3

Still curious as to why the NEWDB in FreeBSD does not support more
than ca. 1000-bytes in an alias.

Kind regards,

Spil.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM, jhell <jhell@dataix.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 04:50, spil.oss@ wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Today I ran into the BUG documented in the aliases man-page.
>>
>> =A0 =A0 =A0If you have compiled sendmail with DBM support instead =A0of =
=A0NEWDB,
>> =A0you
>> =A0 =A0 =A0may =A0have =A0encountered problems in dbm(3) restricting a s=
ingle alias
>> =A0 =A0 =A0about 1000 bytes =A0of =A0information. =A0 <snip>
>>
>> Looking at Sendmail, it is compiled with NEWDB so the restriction
>> would not apply.
>>
>> # sendmail -d0.1 -bv root
>> Version 8.14.3
>> Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
>> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NI=
S PIPELINING