Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 05:30:33 -0400
From:      Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
Subject:   Re: KlamAV on FreeBSD...

Thanks all for the replies...

The reason I'm looking for something to run under a GUI is
that I've set up a network at my folks house which includes
a FreeBSD box running Samba.  My Dad isn't comfortable with
a command prompt yet, but he's interested in poking around
to see what FreeBSD (and OpenBSD) can do (After so many
times of having to go over there to fix windows, I couldn't
help but spread some of my cheery Gospel.  :) ).

I figured the best way to get him introduced was to set him
up with KDE.  So he's asked me about a virus scanner, and
because there are three win machines on the LAN sharing the
SMB resources, I figured it would be cool if the virus
scanner was on the server.  It's not for scanning email,
and I understand what was said about it being for windows
viruses (actually, that's the idea).  I just figured that
if the scanner was on a FreeBSD machine, then a virus
wouldn't have a chance at screwing it up (I assume, while
the backup Cd's are still smoldering).

I've thought about setting it up to run in the background
and relay an email to me if it finds something so that I
can ssh my way in without having to make a house call.
Then again, it wouldn't be encouraging him to get his hands
dirty.

I guess the best thing would be for me to get busy and
improve my programing skills so I can get stuff like this
to work.  Who knows?  Maybe it will be good enough for the
ports tree.  :)

Thanks again.

Mike

PS...  I've only skimmed through the man pages, but I seem
to remember something about it not being able to remove a
virus from within an archive (although it can scan within
the archive)?  I could be wrong, though (sounded pretty
cheesy, but I was more intereseted in a mention of
available frontends).  I played with it for a little while
but uninstalled it after exhausing my search.

On Saturday 28 August 2004 05:08 pm, Lucas Holt proclaimed: