Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:51:53 -0700
From:      pius@ienet.com
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, terryl@ienet.com
Subject:   Re: nfs cache permissions problem?

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, dfr@nlsystems.com wrote:
> I know about this problem and there is an open PR for it.  I don't know
> what the right fix for it is though.  I can't do an ACCESS rpc for every
> cache read (apart from the performance, NFSv2 doesn't have an ACCESS rpc).
> The best I have come up with so far is to somehow associate a cred with
> each buf in the cache and only allow accesses which are allowed by the
> cred.  Failures will invalidate the buf and attempt the READ rpc, allowing
> the server to do the check.

Oops, sorry, I should have checked the PRs first.

So the fix provided by the originator of kern/2635 would significantly
affect performance? Or perhaps it has other problems?

Does the NFSv3 implementation fix this? How do other NFS implementations
handle this case (e.g. OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux, Solaris)?

Anyways, thanks very much for your help,
Pius