Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:35:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of /usr file system (was: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

:>: It is?  Sounds like there are lots of retconned reasons that could
:>: equally easily be worked around. 8)
:
:Has the requirement for the root partition being first in the disklabel
:been removed?  I prefer to have my swap partition as close to the front
:of the disk as possible to take advantage of the faster tracks.  If /
:needs to come before swap, and / is *huge*, swap gets slower.
:
:--
:Justin

    I address this in 'man tuning'.  In the very first section I
    talk about ordering partitions on the disk to take advantage
    of outer-track access times.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>