Date:      18 Apr 2001 10:27:48 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to automatically update /usr/share/doc

mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer) writes:

> Andrew Nesbit <alnesbit@optushome.com.au> types:
> > hi... I've been successfully doing cvsup's and rebuilding the system, but now
> > my /usr/share/doc directory is out of date (in particular, the handbook).
> >
> > Is there any way of getting cvsup (or some other program) to automatically
> > keep this stuff up to date?
>
> /usr/share/doc is built from source, just like /bin, /usr/bin, and
> similar things.
>
> To get the sources, you need to cvsup the doc set. See
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile for an example of how to do
> that.

And don't forget the option of downloading the pre-built docs
themselves, which you can do via FTP...

README file from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/
These subdirectories contain formatted copies of the FreeBSD Documentation
Project documentation.

   packages/           contains pkg_add(1)'able files which integrate nicely
                       in to the FreeBSD package management system.

   <lang>.<encoding>/  contains further subdirectories corresponding to
                       the actual documentation.  Follow the path to
                       the document, format, and compression scheme you
                       want.

   faq/ and handbook/  Symlinks to the English FAQ and Handbook directories,
                       as these are (probably) of most interest to potential
                       downloaders.

Formats
-------

Documents are available in the following formats:

   html-split          A collection of small, linked, HTML files

   html                One large HTML file containing the entire document

   pdb                 Palm Pilot database format, for use with the
                       iSilo reader, from http://www.iSilo.com/

   pdf                 Adobe Portable Document Format

   ps                  Postscript

   rtf                 Microsoft's Rich Text Format [1]

   txt                 Plain text

In addition, documents are compressed with the GNU Zip, regular Zip, and
BZip2 format.

--

[1] Page numbers are not automatically updated when loading this format
    in to Word.  Press CTRL+A, CTRL+END, F9, after loading the document,