Date:      03 Dec 2001 11:04:52 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I unformat a man page like /tmp/man.1?

Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr> writes:

> On 2001-12-02 22:19:34, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> > How to I do "man" on a out-of-place man page like /tmp/man.1?
> >
> >     groff -mandoc -Tlatin1 /tmp/man.1 | less
>
> I use a similar command:
>
> 	% nroff -mandoc man.1 | more
>
> > doesn't work as advertised in groff(1). It's not bad with some
> > pages, but VERY bad for others.
>
> What problems do you have with the command you quoted?
> On which manpages?

This command

    zcat  /usr/share/man/man5/named.conf.5.gz | nroff -mandoc  | less

gives dozens of these lines with increasing line numbers (along with
occasional spurts of good output):

    mdoc warning: Empty input line #19

The handful of other man pages I've tried it on look OK, except that
about 5% of the lines end with a reverse-video "<AD>".

The "nroff -mandoc" command gives the same results.

This is in an xterm with $TERM = xterm-xf86-v32.