Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:26:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        geoff@ginsu.com, bsd@ee.petra.ac.id, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: elm problem :)

> It seems that User GEOFF said:
> > I found that if I compiled fcntl into elm it wouldn't work.  I had
> > /var/mail wide open and still couldn't get the locking working.  I had to
> > remove fcntl for it to work.

> Have you tried the port in /usr/ports/mail/elm ? My  Elm is not the same as
> I try to follow M. Elkins patches (ME8b+ now :-)) but it should work.

I wasn't able to get it working with fcntl locking, either.  I compiled
and installed it long before I knew of the existance of a port (one might
have existed, I don't know).  I've always had to use flock style locking
- fcntl always seemed to cause the symptoms the original complaint
described.

Then again, I'm not exactly a UNIX programming guru - I know enough to
be extremely dangerous. :)

Take it with a (rather large) grain of salt.