Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 19:05:51 -0600
From:      "Rak" <bbayorgeon@new.rr.com>
To:        "Christopher Rued" <c.rued@xsb.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Cabletron ISA NIC support?

DP83902V Seems be the chip model that is important here.

I did some searching on DP83902 and came up the the following
link and a cut the following information from the link.

The most interesting thing I read was:

"Probably still the most common NIC is the National Semiconductor
DP8390 aka NS32490 aka DP83901 aka DP83902 aka DP83905 aka
DP83907."

and

"If the card has some form of 8390 on it, then chances are it is
a ne1000 or ne2000 clone card."

So, this should get you on the right track to your answer....

I didn't read everything, but it appears your card is some
variant of the NE2000 which is supported by FreeBSD.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Ethernet-HOWTO-5.html

Identifying the Network Interface Controller
Look for the biggest chip on the card. This will be the network
controller (NIC) itself, and most can be identified by the part
number. If you know which NIC is on the card, the following might
be able to help you figure out what card it is.

Probably still the most common NIC is the National Semiconductor
DP8390 aka NS32490 aka DP83901 aka DP83902 aka DP83905 aka
DP83907. And those are just the ones made by National! Other
companies such as Winbond and UMC make DP8390 and DP83905 clone
parts, such as the Winbond 89c904 (DP83905 clone) and the UMC
9090. If the card has some form of 8390 on it, then chances are
it is a ne1000 or ne2000 clone card. The second most common 8390
based card are wd80x3 cards and clones. Cards with a DP83905 can
be configured to be an ne2000 or a wd8013. Never versions of the
genuine wd80x3 and SMC Elite cards have an 83c690 in place of the
original DP8390. The SMC Ultra cards have an 83c790, and use a
slightly different driver than the wd80x3 cards. The SMC EtherEZ
cards have an 83c795, and use the same driver as the SMC Ultra.
All BNC cards based on some sort of 8390 or 8390 clone will
usually have an 8392 (or 83c692, or ???392) 16 pin DIP chip very
close to the BNC connector.

Another common NIC found on older cards is the Intel i82586.
Cards having this NIC include the 3c505, 3c507, 3c523, Intel
EtherExpress-ISA, Microdyne Exos-205T, and the Racal-Interlan
NI5210.

The original AMD LANCE NIC was numbered AM7990, and newer
revisions include the 79c960, 79c961, 79c965, 79c970, and 79c974.
Most cards with one of the above will work with the Linux LANCE
driver, with the exception of the old Racal-Interlan NI6510 cards
that have their own driver.

Newer PCI cards having a DEC 21040, 21041, 21140, or similar
number on the NIC should be able to use the linux tulip or de4x5
driver.

Other PCI cards having a big chip marked RTL8029 or 89C940 or
86C926 are ne2000 clone cards, and the ne driver in linux version
v2.0 and up should automatically detect these cards at boot