Date:      Sat, 23 May 2009 12:45:40 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
Subject:   Re: backspace-key and ^H when ssh -X remote.

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:25:50PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 03:03:00PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 May 2009 06:35:56 -0400, Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net> wrote:
> > > probably (outside of Linux and a few special cases such as Cygwin,
> > > "everyone" else uses ^H for backspace - all of the BSD's and all
> > > of the vendor Unix's).
> >
> > As far as I know, ^? indicates the delete key... Maybe the
> > delete key does ^H in this setting?
>
> By "uses ^H for backspace", I was referring to the terminal emulators
> such as xterm which can be initialized to send either ^H or ^? for
> the "backspace" key, as well as the console terminals which generally
> send one or the other...

	Problem solved.  I didn't expect anyone else to have this bug,
	but then I googled and found that on ubuntu linux I had to set my
	Keybord to "Solaris"; it had been set to "Linux".  I use the kde
	Konsole emulator on both desktop. The Keyboard setting of
	"freebsd console" works fine here on FBSD.

	'Strange-but-true' ....

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 4.91a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php