Date:      Wed, 8 Jun 2016 02:46:39 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+oro@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, yerenkow@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Building JAVA-applications with maven

Hi!

[maven and resolving dependencies by download at build time]
> Ports-system needs some way of dealing with these issues properly and
> orderly. What should the strategy be?

Thanks for formulating the question.

> How about allowing a port to declare the following needs, which would be
> taken care of for it:
>
>  1. It needs the following JARs, which /aren't/ already available from
>     other ports, downloaded -- into ${DISTDIR}/jars or some such.

Doesn't this need maven-support ? Is there a way to tell
maven "fetch the deps, and put them somewhere" ?

If we ask upstream to provide support for this feature ?

>  2. It needs its pom.xml file(s) patched to use the following list of
>     JARs, which /are/ available from other ports, directly. (Hopefully,
>     the JARs on the first list of each port will gradually make its way
>     into the second.)
>
> This may still leave the a. and b. unsatisfied -- or partially satisfied
> -- but those really are the least important of the problems. The item 2.
> may be "hairy" -- somewhat like the patching of libtool and friends
> we've had for some time. But it is doable...

Do you suggest patching maven for the needed features ?

> Does this seem like a valid concern? Does the proposal seem like a good
> idea? Anyone up to creating Uses/maven.mk? Even just testing the new
> facility with a port of their own would be helpful...

A Uses/maven.mk sounds non-trivial, but very, very useful, if
it covers the generic use-case of maven-built ports.

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         4 years to go !