Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:59:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>, David Hunt <dh@huntbros.net>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kate Sullivan <Lslbsc2@AOL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Mac iBook OS10 + BSD

Julian Elischer writes:

 > news to me.. I run multiple terminal windows, each running tcsh.
 > That's with an unaltered macosX 10.1.5.
 > from the user perspective it looks a lot like FreeBSD 3.{something}

I think he means text-only syscons like vtys.  MacOSX does not have
them.   Nobody has ever been able to tell me how to make a serial
console work on my OS-X crashbox either.

 > The new one is basically like FreeBSD 4.4.

All versions of OSX feel more like Nextstep than any version of
FreeBSD.

 > > > How much can BSD share things like utilities and config files with
 > > > OS10? Is there any special compatability due to the OSs being similar
 > > > in some ways?

Depends what you mean by share.  OSX uses Nexstep's netinfo database
for managing things like hosts, passwd, groups.  The config files in
/etc are just decoys there to confuse you.

It uses series of startup scripts somewhat similar to RCng.

 > > > How should I plan my BSD intallation? Any special advantage of having
 > > > BSD on a Mac with OS10, as compared to Linux Slackware?
 >
 > Stick with MacOS-X it's going to run better onthis hardware than
 > anything else.

It all depends what you mean by better.  If you're talking pure unix
performance, then I say you're full of crap.  OS-X is a dog.  Linux
runs circles around it.  If you like, I'll post some LMbench numbers
showing linux kicking sand in OS-X's face on my dual 800MHz crashbox
when I return from vacation.  I'm hoping our powerpc port comes close
to doing as well as linux.  Also, X11 "feels" quite slow if you're
used to X11.  (I'm writing this from KDE running under XDarwin on a ti
powerbook, 867MHz).

However, if you're talking about ease of operation, then I agree with
you 100%.  Suspend always works, the my ti powerbook is up and on the
network before I have the case open.  My wife bought me a 2 button+
scrollwheel mouse for Christmas.  The mouse worked (scrollwheel
included) with no configuration at all, just as soon as I plugged it
in.  It even worked in XDarwin.  I was amazed.  Iphoto rocks.  Its
nice being able to run M$ Office natively, etc.

Fink (based on debian's dselect/apt-get) is great.  As much as I hate
to say it, I think its better than our ports/pkgs system.  I love how
it upgrades packages + dependancies seemlessly when you upgrade one
component.

Drew