Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:29:31 +1100
From:      "Geoffrey Crompton (RMIT Guest)" <ghcrompton@gecko.eric.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading a FreeBSD box from another one without NFS

Hi,

I have one box setup with FreeBSD 4.1.1 and a second with 4.2, I was wondering if it is possible to just tarball /usr/src from the 4.2 box, copy it across and then run make world on the 4.1.1 box to upgrade it to 4.2.  I have had a look at the NFS stuff for network upgrades, but don't want to have to set that up because of other considerations.

Can anyone tell me if that would work please?

Thanks,
Geoff