Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:44:54 +0400
From:      "Nickolay A. Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
To:        Theo de Raadt <deraadt@cvs.openbsd.org>
Cc:        Wincent Colaiuta <wincentcolaiuta@mac.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (OT) Re[2]: Wow (or, How Theo should have handled it)

Hello Theo,

>> Seriously, Theo, the best thing you could've done would have been to
>> fully disclose the original bug in the challenge/response code and the
>> one-line fix (turn off challenge/response auth), and told people two
>> things: firstly, that patches were being worked on; and secondly, that
>> 3.4 was on the way soon and that it would be desirable to upgrade to
>> that and activate priv separation so as to better cope with future
>> potential holes.

TdR> The first half of what you say is completely insane;  The second half is
TdR> exactly what we did.

TdR> Fact is, you ranting assholes are complete idiots.  Let me explain.

I do not think that all people subscribed to freebsd-security need the
explanation why you think your opponents are idiots. I am not
interested. I do not care if they are idiots. I do not care if you
are one. Sorry if you do not like it.

I had an assumption that this list is about ( freebsd AND security ),
not about ( freebsd OR security ). Was I wrong? It is not a rethorical
question, I really need the answer. I have subscribe freebsd-security
about 1,5 years ago (this is my whole UNIX and freeBSD experience),
and it was just the right place for asking for help or discussing some
new features. But some time ago the list has changed. After that
monstrous flame about OpenSSH vuln. I even started to think about some
procmail filters for this list. The only reason I still did not start
hard-filtering this part of my mail is that I still hope to find some
useful information between piles of garbage like `You are idiots and
freedom's enemies', `Let's protect full disclosure', `Oh my goodness,
I have nnn production servers to upgrade, and it is your fault that I
have worked more than 8 hours yesterday' or `Brett Sucks'. Please,
stop it! CC: all this junk to freebsd-chat.

PS: If anyone wants to reply me, please do this in private, or CC: to
freebsd-chat, because my post is off-topic for this list.

PPS: Oh, God. They managed to piss off likely the most tolerable
man in the world.

PPPS: Sorry for my english, I am still learning.By the way, what does
`hogwash' mean in the thread above? Both hog and wash are known words.

; NKritsky
; mailto:nkritsky@internethelp.ru