Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:36:36 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        cadastrosonline@yahoo.com.br
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory mannagment

On 2007-06-14 01:15, cadastrosonline cadastrosonline <cadastrosonline@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> First of all,
>
> "Each process has its own private address space. The address space is initially divided
> into three logical segments: text,
> data, and stack. "
>
> But if the address is just something like 343556 then how does it
> really work? The memory is divided into segments is that what it
> means?

An answer to this is a very long introductory course in UNIX systems
internals.  In general, you can find a lot of detail about memory
management and allocation in books like ``The Design and Implementation
of the FreeBSD Operating System''[1] or even the classic book of Abraham
Silberschatz called ``Operating System Concepts''[2].

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Design-Implementation-FreeBSD-Operating-System/dp/0201702452
[2] http://www.amazon.com/Operating-System-Concepts-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/0471694665

> "The data segment contains the initialized and uninitialized data portions of a program"
>
> Is it talking about multithreading? I COULDNT FIND anything talking
> about how freebsd deals with multithreading, just found out it does it
> by man pthread.

No, it's not talking about multi-threading.  Please see [1] above for
concepts like `process' and `thread' in FreeBSD.

> Tell me anything else interesting to know about memory mannagment, does
> it use any algorithm to substitute a page when out of pages in memory?

This is also explained in [1] above :)