Date:      Fri, 9 May 2003 21:40:16 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem installing kernel in single usermode

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:38 +0200, Remy de Ruysscher wrote:

> I'm running 4.8-STABLE but I'm having some problems installing a new
> kernel.
> (in /usr/src make installkernel).
>
>  mv /kernel /kernel.old		operation not permitted
>
> My securelevel is currently set to -1 (kern_securelevel=-1) and
> kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
> I have already executed chflags noschg /kernel and /kernel.old (while in
> single user mode).
>
> What am I missing?

An unnoticed failure at the chflags execution?  More likely: a
read only file system?  Or a destination which is already there
but cannot be removed (although you excluded this above)?

Check the output of `ls -ldo /kernel*` and `mount`.  It must be
something obvious as soon as you don't just assume things should
work ("I set rc.conf to ...") but check the _consequences_
("what's the system's status").  It's the "I tried to toggle
this switch" versus the "I queried the OS how it sees itself"
thing, I guess. :)  But could as well be a detail of running
single user mode you won't see in a live system.

If all else fails in checking the constraints, you might have to
diagnose the problem by means of truss(1) to see which operation
is being denied.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net