Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:23:11 -0500
From:      Tyler Eaves <tyler@cg1.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Enlarging partition?

Hi all, got another question for you.
This machine previously had a linux install on it, and before I installed
4.7-RELASE, I made a 14GB parition on the drive to act a temporary 'backu=
p'
of stuff I wanted to save. I then installed FreeBSD where the linux insta=
ll
has previously been. I then copied the data into the FreeBSD install, and
deleted the temp 14GB partition. As my disk isn't that huge (40GB) I'd
really like to have my 14GB back. 'growfs' seems to be what I want, but
that's cryptic and confusing. Working with partitions has never been my
strong point, so that's why I'm asking for help.

Some information that might be helpful:

fdisk output:
su-2.05b# fdisk ad1
******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=3D4865 heads=3D255 sectors/track=3D63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=3D4865 heads=3D255 sectors/track=3D63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
start 63, size 47102517 (22999 Meg), flag 80 (active)
beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>