Date:      14 Feb 2001 13:39:27 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rebooting for Upgrade questions and SSH broke

Hi all,

Sorry to keep bugging, but some things are confusing me.

1. I just did a cvsup to 4.2 Stable. I then did a make world and then
a make world install. This did not work as it was unable to overwrite
certain files due to the securelevel. I changed this in rc.conf and
rebooted, and was able to do the install.
Is there any way to do this without rebooting? Do I have to reboot
every time I do a make installworld? Is there no way to just restart
all services affected with the new versions? I don't really want to
reboot after every update.

2. After installing and rebooting, I can no longer ssh to the
machine. For starters, it looks like doing the make installworld
generated a new key. Can I stop it doing this? I don't want to change
the server key everytime I update.

For seconds, I now get the following message when trying to ssh to the
machine:

sshd[214] no modules loaded for 'ssh' service
sshd[214] no modules loaded for 'ssh' service
sshd[214] no modules loaded for 'ssh' service
fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: Permission denied
fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: Permission denied
fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: Permission denied

This looks like either ssh built with PAM and pam isn't around, or pam
is looking for something that either broke or got removed in the make
installworld.

Sorry to ask again, but any help would be appreciated. I'll contribute
more soon :(

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk