Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:18:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Albert Chen <chen6178@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why FreeBSD is better than WinNT? please give me ten reasons.

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Albert Chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currenlty using FreeBSD. My advisor prefers WinNT,
> I telled him to try FreeBSD, but he asked me:
> "Why FreeBSD is better than WinNT? give me ten reasons
> and I will try it?" I don't know how to answer,
> would anyone tell me, thanks.

1. FreeBSD is more efficient, and therefore well suited to high load
server environments.

2. FreeBSD has free, good tech support, as opposed to having to buy tech
support from M$.

3. FreeBSD is open source, so that if their is a bug found in a program
distributed with it or somebody just wants to add some new feature to a
program, they can. This means bugs get fixed sooner.

4. Easily customized- differnt shells, different GUIs, re-compilable
kernel, easily altered network

5. Cheap- FreeBSD is free, you don't need to buy user licenses like you do
with some M$ porducts.

6. Comes with lots of useful, free, well made programs. The ports
collection has 1924 programs available on CD or from the Internet. All
free. I have on my hard drive free C development tools, not to mention
Perl, shell, tcl/tk, C++, lisp. I have networking tools- tcpdump, a
firewall, and tcp port wrappers. I have the X Windowing system, a
versatile and efficient base for my GUI. All these things would cost me
money from M$, and from my experience with M$ they wouldn't work as well.

7. More secure- I once broke in to a WinNT system by accident while
hitting random keys on the keyboard (this is true- I did this in front of
witnesses)

8. Great documentation- the system comes with manual pages for all the
programs that come with it, and if the docs aren't enough you can go read
the source to find what you need.

9. The system is verbose. With M$ operating systems, instead of telling
you what it is doing it is busy displaying  a pretty splash screen. With
FreeBSD, the system will tell you everything it can about what is going
on- from why a program crashed to the memory address ranges it using to
access your video card.

10. FreeBSD has decades of development behind it. The FreeBSD project was
started in 1993, but BSD (the Berkeley Unix FreeBSD is based on) has been
in development since the very early eighties, and the original AT&T Unix
has been in development since the mid 1970's.

Hope this convinces your advisor.

> Regards,
> Albert

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.