Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:27:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Andreas L. Gustafsson" <ante@Update.UU.SE>
To:        wosch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD for "free"

I was browsing by your webpages and I noticed that amongst the qualities
of FreeBSD you write that it is free, i.e. costs you nothing.

I'd like to point out that since the Free Software Foundation has used
that word in a diffrent meaning, free as in freedom, using the same word
as in "costs you no dollars" is sure to confuse people.

Considering the so called "Open Software" community these days is studied
closely by the press and a lot of people with little or no computer
experience, I think it is in the interest of all to use a unabigous use of
expression.

Please consider changing the phrasing and thereby not confuse people and
making it harder to spread the word about software _freedom_. Thank you.

I am in no way a part of, or paid by, the Free Software Foundation, but
a independant programmer/user that's deeply concerned about the issues
about freedom and the philosophy of the FSF.

Happy hacking!

/andreas