Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2009 17:38:55 +0200
From:      Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gerrit_K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs kernel panic

On Sep 8, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Gerrit K=FChn wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I just upgraded a zfs server from 7.0-something to 7.2-stable and =20
> hoped to
> get rid of some minor instabilities I experienced every 6 months or =20=

> so.
> Unfortunately, the new system crashed for the first time after only =20=

> a few
> hours when copying some files via scp onto it.
> I got a kernel panic which looked quite similar to the one reported =20=

> here
> (kmem_map too small):
> =
<http://www.archivum.info/freebsd-fs@freebsd.org/2009-04/00071/FreeBSD_7.2=
-RC1_-_ZFS_related_kernel_panic_quot_kmem_map_too_small_quot=20

> I have a dual cpu dual core opteron system with 4GB of RAM and a 3-=20
> disk
> raidz1. I took out the memory settings from loader.conf as suggested =20=

> in
> UPDATING. I did not yet upgrade zpool nor zfs version (would that =20
> help?).
> Are there any known issues or any further hints what might cause the
> crash? I copied the files again, but this time everything went fine.
Hmm. Do you use i386 or amd64? This panic is (was?) pretty common on =20
i386 before tuning, but... 4GB RAM and an Opteron should have you =20
running amd64, no?

Regards,
Thomas=