Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:24:36 -0800
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S." <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   FP exception on a port.

Hi,
I am preparing a port for Felt ( a CAD program), but it exhibits a
problem (using fbsd 2.1.5) pointed out by Martin Cracauer in his page:
___________quote__________
An example is IEEE floating point. FreeBSD triggers an FP exception when
dividing by zero. All my other computers set it to NaN and that is what
many programs rely on (that means, it is supposed to be changed to work
with FreeBSD). For example, the xlock program from the FreeBSD ports
collection sometimes dumps core, leaving the display open. Just
unacceptable.
  I had some mail with Bruce Evans, and the reason for FreeBSD's
behaviour is that there are some bugs in floating-point handling in
FreeBSD's gcc related to handling of IEEE exceptional numbers.
Therefore, Bruce felt FreeBSD should default to terminate an application
that isn't aware of division by zero etc. issues. I strongly disagree
here.
___________end_of_quote____

Was this problem resolved in fbsd 2.2? I canīt find the place where the
division by zero occurs.

Pedro.

BTW, thanks Martin for pointing out the problem!