Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:01:26 -0500
From:      Todd Pfaff <pfaff@mcmaster.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        pfaff@mcmaster.ca
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1, Gravis Ultrasound and au audio server

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1 on my 486 with a Gravis Ultrasound.
I've configured my kernel with the gus sound device:

  controller      snd0
  device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 1 vector gusintr

and it's detected at boot as:

  gus0 at 0x220 irq 12 drq 1 on isa
  gus0: <Gravis UltraSound 3.4 (256k)>

I know it's working, at least partially, because the 'say' program
works fine (converts text to audio and plays it through my GUS).

I've installed the voxware network audio package from the 2.1 CD
but it doesn't run properly.  It exits with the message:

  could not create audio connection block info

and I've traced au to see that it fails to open /dev/dsp

   304 auvoxware CALL  open(0xf558,0x2,0)
   304 auvoxware NAMI  "/dev/dsp"
   304 auvoxware RET   open -1 errno 16 Device busy

This happens consistently.

Any idea why /dev/dsp is busy?  I'm not running any other programs
that should have the device open.

Please reply to pfaff@mcmaster.ca directly, thanks.

--
Todd Pfaff                         \  Email: pfaff@mcmaster.ca
Computing and Information Services  \ Voice: (905) 525-9140 x22920