Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:03:45 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Zip drives horrendously slow

On the subject of Re: Zip drives horrendously slow, Paul T. Root stated:

> In a previous message, Karl Pielorz said:
> > That sounds like it might be normal... Some PC's have quicker parallel
> > ports (if the drivers will support them) - but even my PP200 goes 'dozy'
> > when copying stuff to the Zip, no matter if it's under '95, NT, DOS or
> > BSD... :-(
> >
> > In fact, I was really wishing I'd bought the SCSI one instead... ;-)
>
> The SCSI would have helped, but the ZIPs are still slow. Something like 35
> msec. A better choice is the Syquest drives. They are all around 10msec
> (9-13 depending on which one). I have 2 EZ135s (one work, one home) and my
> friend just bought a SyJet (1.5 gig) that he uses as the boot disk, 1 for
> Win95, 1 for FreeBSD, etc...

I'm not complaining about the speed of the ZIP drive, Im complaining about the
fact that it takes FreeBSD down with it..  Maybe a userspace zip package would
be better suited to the task than a kernel driver.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich