Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:46:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      ThinkDifferently <Jeremy@FutureCIS.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7 load hangs on boot

ThinkDifferently wrote:

> Steve Bertrand-2 wrote:
>>
>> AFAIK, your RocketRAID should be picked up by the 'twe' driver.
>>
>> If you run a FreeBSD install disk (as opposed to boot-only), are you
>> provided with an install location (via sysinstall) as far as hard disks
>> are concerned?
>>
>> Is this RAID array something that you can afford to risk losing through
>> troubleshooting?
>>

> I haven't tried an install disk yet, just the boot-only.  I will try that
> right away.
>
> This system is so spankin' new, there's nothing loaded on it.  This RAID
> array is just something I setup in the BIOS.  It's not even been
> initialized yet...because I can't even load the OS to install anything.

Well, still no joy.  :-(

I have tried booting from Boot-only, Disc1, LiveFS.  Additionally, I've
tried the default boot, "with ACPI disabled", "Safe Mode", "single user
mode", and "verbose logging".

Every CD and every boot type gives me the exact same errors...

at the beginning:
acpi0: reservation of fee00000, 1000 (3) failed
acpi0: reservation of 0, a0000 (3) failed
acpi0: reservation of 100000, c7f00000 (3) failed

and at the end:
hptrr: no controller detected.
acd0: DVDROM <SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616F/F104> at ata0-master UDMA33
acd0: FAILURE  READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00
GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0 is iso9660/FreeBSD_xxx (where xxx is the
disc I'm using).
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00
*** HANG ***

BTW, the *** HANG *** requires a hard reset.

Also, I read some hearsay in other forums that the READ_BIG error could be
caused by the write speed when the ISO is burned to CD.  So, I tried
downgrading the burn speed from 52x to 16x.  No joy.  It didn't change a
thing.