Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:28:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        lioux@brturbo.com
Cc:        will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: jpeg update (was ghostscript-afpl with jpeg support)

On 27 Dec, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 02:59:00PM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>> On 27 Dec, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wrote:
>>
>> >   - Better support for jpeg WRKDIR location
>>
>> According to the Ghostscript's Make.htm, the only reason GS needs its
>> own  version  of JPEG,  is  because  Adobe's PostScript  interpreters
>> "don't follow JPEG  standard exactly". Which forces  GS developers to
>> build JPEG with the following:
>>
>> 	#define D_MAX_BLOCKS_IN_MCU 64
>>
>> perhaps, this is how we should build  our JPEG port to start with and
>> make gs use -ljpeg, like everything else?
>
>  If you can test that neither ghostscript nor kde, then it should be a
> good thing. Any chance we could test this in 4-exp?

Since there are  no test suites (especially, for kde)  testing per se is
very difficult  (especially, with my  "poor QA skills"). However,  I did
research back  a year  or two ago,  when the idea  first popped  into my
mind. The define  only affects the decoding part of  the library and its
drawback is increased size of one or two arrays.

The change  is rather  simple, but I  did not want  to scare  anybody by
making it right before a release. Yours,

	-mi