Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:19:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, akimichi@sfc.wide.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: ieee1394 driver

> Someone asked at the USENIX BOF about the status of ieee1394 driver
> for FreeBSD.   For those who want to play with DV cameras, a set of
> tools to transmit DV streasms over IP is available from
> http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/DVTS/
>
> It includes the ieee1394 driver presented at the last year's freenix.

Thanks for the pointer, I see the latest set of patches are at:
ftp://new-tremaine.cc.uec.ac.jp/pub/firewire/firewire-freebsd-4.0-20000515

My question is simply: Why don't we bring this into the system?  Is it
for lack of manpower in committers or a desire from the development
team that it stay a separate set of patches?

Some observations on the code:

Most of the cards they want to support are still on the TODO list,
only one type of card being marked as fully working.  Still, there's
nothing like having users of your code to help that process along,
so I wouldn't consider this reason enough to keep the code out.

I'm not sure how I feel about /sys/net1394 as a new subdirectory for a
lot of the lynx stuff.  Is that really necessary?

Most of the code patches straight into -current, though it's clear
that a bit more work will need to be done to make it fully conform.
Still, we need firewire support!  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

- Jordan