Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:14:03 +0100
From:      Volker Stolz <stolz@hyperion.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/33841: ifconfig causes unaligned accesses on Alpha

Fenrir wrote:
>sysctl -w machdep.unaligned_print=0
>machdep.unaligned_print: 1 -> 0

>This has fixed the problem with the unaligned access.  (But my snmpd still
>dies at the same spot..  seems it was unrelated..  ohwell!)

This just disables the messages, but doesn't fix the problem.
I guess that snmpd is suffering indeed at the same spot because it
walks the list of network devices as ifconfig does. On my machine, this
fails only for ppp0, but I really cannot understand why a struct can be
unaligned in the middle of it. All necessary padding/whatever should have
been automagically done by the compiler.
--
Wonderful \hbox (0.80312pt too nice) in paragraph at lines 16--18
Volker Stolz * stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de