Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:23:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and/or fsck bugs or features?

> I had a couple of nasty crashes on my machine that has soft updates
> enabled.  It would appear that I've also managed to get some
> interesting corruption on one of my volumes.
>
> I've attached a complete listing of ls -laR for lost+found.  Notice
> anything unusual?  check out the link count of '.'.  Also, none of the
> # files can be deleted.  rm claims the directory isn't empty, but it
> sure looks that way t me.  It is interesting to note that the link
> count is 3, 4 or 5, but in fact it really isn't.
>
> Yes, I've run fsck on this volume.  It ran out of room in lost+found
> so I had to run it again by hand.  Seems very odd to me.  I'm running
> the latest kernel that has been delivered to my machine, and double
> checked to make sure that the soft update files are the same ones that
> are in contrib/sys/softupdates.
>
> The fsck is running now and reconnecting a whole lot of inodes...
> I'll have to see how many it succeeds in reconnecting.
>
> Comments?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Update your fsck.

There was a bug in fsck that had it not counting the link in / and
the links in the /lost+found directory.

I submitted a patch a while back that fixed this bug.

With the soft updates code, another version of the patch (that
touched things when it probably should not have) was integrated.

Now the links are counted the wrong direction.

If you have no lost+found, and one is created, a second fsck will
reset the link count (maybe -- like I said, the new patch touches
the link count unnecessarily) to the proper value.

Alternately, you have commit priviledges, and this was discussed in
depth on the -current list a number of weeks ago (and if you are
running the most recent -current and are still seeing this, then
no one with commit priviledges acted upon the discussion, though
I know of at least two people, one of them a core member, who
participated in the discussion).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---